If you are looking to make your own vapor rub with age appropriate essential oils and natural ingredients, this is place to be…..
Most store bought vapor rubs have a lot of toxic chemicals in them. Chemicals such as parabans, diazolidinl urea, PEG-100 Stearate, Turpentine and petrolatum. Some of these are often contaminated with PAHS. These very toxic compounds is linked to cancer and toxicity in the immune and reproductive system.
For the most part essential oils are natural and considered safe. However, not all are considered safe to all. Some oils can counteract the effectiveness of other medications. Some oils can irritate your mucus membrane and make your symptoms feel worse. Always use carefully with small children, pregnant women and pets. Below are some guidelines that will help you choose what is best for your child.
Under 2 years of age
Infuse the following for 30 minutes on and one hour off as needed.
Ages 2-6 years
Dilution at 1% is the recommended starting point. However, it is appropriate to go up to 3% for short periods of time.
- 1 drop cinnamon
- 1 drop thyme
- 2 drops lemon
- 2 drops cedar wood
- 2 tablespoons shea butter
- Mel tthe shea butter in a double boiler (stainless steel bowl inside a pot of boiling water)
- Remove it from heat and stir in the essential oils
- Transfer the mixture to a container with a tight fitting lid.
- Half cup of pressed Castor oil
- 3-5 drops of black pepper oil
- 3-5 drops of Eucalyptus oil
- 2 cloves of crushed garlic
- Half teaspoon of Cayenne pepper
- Half teaspoon of grated ginger
- Combine all ingredients in a small jar with a fitted lid
- Rub onto chest (Wear an old shirt as the castor oil can stain)
- Cover chest with saran wrap or flannel
- Put a thinly wrapped hot water bottle on top (heat causes the castor oil deeper into the tissues)
- Can be left on over night but 30 minutes to one hour will work as well
- Do daily until cough improves
- Can refrigerate remaining for next use
How These Ingredients Work
Castor oil has been used for centuries due to its therapeutic properties by penetrating deep into tissues to increase circulation and enhance healing. Do not digest castor oil internally.
Cayenne pepper clears out mucus.
Ginger acts as a diaphoretic to help bring out the toxins in your lungs
Garlic is an antimicrobial
Black pepper stimulates circulation and mucus flow
Eucalyptus adds more antimicrobial and works as a decongestant
Thyme leaves contain flavanoids that relax and lessen inflammation.
Cinnamon is knowns for reducing inflammation, boost immunity and eliminate viruses.
Cedarwood reduces coughs and congestion by its antispasmodic ability. It also rids buildup of phlegm
Lemon is anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial
Do you have a DIY chest rub? What ingredients do you use? Comment below.
*Disclaimer- Please seek health advice from your provider before trying any of the above mentioned supplements. Only you and your provider understand your child’s health history. These supplements are not considered cures for any ailments